Through Hazel Eyes Chapter 1 PT. 1

by Searria H.

This used to be titled, "Kidnapping Freedom," but I didn't like that, so I changed it. I really need critiques on this because I'm giving it to one of my teachers. Long story. Thanks in advance for your help. :D :D I cut it into two parts because it was very long. Enjoy! :D

-Sea-

**********

I wrapped my thin jacket tightly around me in a pathetic attempt to protect myself from the relentlessly biting cold. Almost wishing I could go back to the warmth of my burning house, I made my way slowly down the crowded street without a clue as to where I was going. I must have been a miserable sight with my hands thrust deeply into my jacket pockets, my shoulders hunched so they almost touched my earlobes. The wind stung my topaz eyes until tears collected along the rims. When I blinked, tears streaked down my face, cutting through the thick layer of soot to reveal the chilled, red flesh underneath. To avoid the questioning glances of passing people, I concentrated on the sidewalk and the broken rhythm of my footsteps. Still, I felt very awkward and exposed. I needed to find a place where I could be alone to collect my thoughts.

I stopped next to a large, dense pile of old wood scraps and chairs that had been abandoned in front of a small shop. I lifted my eyes and glanced around nervously to make sure no one was watching. I backed up until I was standing beside the pile, got down on my knees and crawled behind the tower of wood. Taking deep breaths to calm myself, I pulled my knees to my chest and leaned against the shop’s front wall. So much had happened in the past hour, and I couldn’t make sense of any of it. My home was burning with my parents trapped inside. And all of those girls. I shuddered at the memory of their bodies lying on the floor in small crimson puddles. I rested my head in my hands and tried to think, but couldn’t. Whenever I closed my eyes, I could only picture the sneering man standing over my mother, his cold grey eyes glinting in triumph. Then several men dropped torches onto the rug and left as though it was nothing unusual, locking me, my parents, and the corpses inside. After that, I couldn’t see anything but the bright fiery light. I heard my mother scream my father’s name and a splintering crash as something plummeted from the ceiling, spraying a shower of glittering sparks towards me, but nothing else. I tried to call to them, but was choked by a billow of smoke. I grabbed a flower pot from the kitchen table and hurled it through the window above the sink. I crawled through the opening, carving deep patterns into my hands on shards of glass…

I shook the images out of my mind. I didn’t want to think about it anymore. Raising my hand to my neck, I pulled my pendant out from my shirt and fingered its smooth surface almost mechanically as I had so many times before, trying to comfort myself. It almost looked like a tiny, two ringed target – a thick white stone hoop circling a small, upraised red gem. I’ve got to figure out what’s going on. I said to myself, though part of me didn’t want to know and somehow dismiss all of this in some way. But I couldn’t. My parents were dead, and I wanted to know why! Letting the pendant drop back into my shirt, I tucked my legs underneath myself and sat on my heels so that I could peer through the spaces between wood pieces without anyone else noticing me.

What am I going to do now? I thought as I stared at the bustling forest of legs. They were all in such a hurry. To give myself something to do, I tried to imagine where they might be going – home, work, a shop. Then my thoughts were twisted back to my situation. I had to force myself to face the fact that I had nowhere to go. Most likely, there wasn’t a single standing wall of my house left, and I had no relatives or friends within several miles. The friendly jingle of a bell triggered by someone opening the shop door gave me an idea. No one would be in the shop at night, and it would be easy to hide somewhere inside until closing time. I would just have to leave before the owner arrived in the morning to open. Although it didn’t sound absolutely promising, it was my best option. I scrambled out from my hiding spot and composed myself into what I hoped was a casual stance. Trying to appear as inconspicuous as possible, I slipped into the flow of the crowd for a few steps then turned and entered the shop.

Immediately, the smell of cinnamon and scented candles reached me, and I sneezed in spite of myself. Miscellaneous knick-knacks cluttered a back wall full of floating shelves, drawing my eye immediately. Postcards and greeting cards sat neatly in spinning racks beside a basket of cheap silver bracelets, necklaces, and single earrings that were missing their partners. Several other baskets contained hills of candies, chocolates, and lollipops. To my left stood a small bookcase, displaying rows of dark sunglasses and five cups filled with bouquets of decorated pens. My eyes scanned the room in amazement. There were random objects everywhere that didn’t seem to fit in with the rest of the store. Then again, no two objects belonged in the same category. In the midst of all the chaos was a small oak desk behind which was seated a large, snowy-haired man with bulky glasses, holding a crossword and eyeing me with skeptical curiosity. A little unnerved by his perpetual stare, I acted as if I hadn’t noticed him.

“Can I help you?” He asked warmly after a few moments. At first, the sound of his voice startled me. I hadn’t expected him to actually talk to me. He frowned slightly and tilted his head to one side, his pale blue eyes shining.

Why is he looking at me like that? When I remembered that I was probably covered in soot, I almost laughed. I must have been a very odd sight indeed.

“No thank you,” I replied. “I’m just looking.” When he finally averted his eyes, I sauntered over to a stack of magazines, picked up the one on top and pretended to read it. Hiding behind the magazine, I glanced to my left and right in search of things I could use later. A large bin of decorative pillows caught my attention and I wondered how comfortable I could be sleeping on a pillow smothered in glitzy beading. I would have to make do. A mixture of apples and unripe bananas lay in a small barrel as if someone had dumped them all in there without giving them a second thought. I had never been partial to stealing, as it always left me with a sense of paranoia and unease. But I didn’t have any money and knew that it would be impossible to ignore my hunger forever, so my eyes repeatedly focused on the shelves of bread loaves and the assortment of jellies. The man behind the counter cleared his throat.

“Are you going to purchase that magazine, or just sit there and try to make me think that you’re actually reading it?”

I looked up at him, my lips parted silently in shock. What should I say? I thought. All I could manage were a few senseless noises. I was much relieved when the owner smiled at me and returned his concentration to the crossword that waited patiently on his desk. Hastily, I replaced the magazine and wandered around the store, half-searching for a safe place to hide, and half-looking for something to keep me occupied. A large case of shelves enclosed with glass drew my attention. It stood alone in a corner, set about a foot away from the wall.

This is perfect. I said to myself, pleased. I’ll just wait behind here until it’s time. The case was full of old pictures and small paintings. I scanned them quickly, starting with the top shelf and moving my eyes in a zigzag motion down the case. When I got to the end of the third shelf, something stopped me. I looked back over the pictures on that shelf, more slowly this time. Something had caught my eye, but I couldn’t seem to find it again. Then I saw it. One of the pictures showed a happy couple sitting on a couch, smiling amiably at the camera. Behind them was a painting on the wall of a large, powerful white eagle in flight. I would recognize that painting anywhere; it hung on the wall in my living room, though it had probably been burned to ash by now.

I didn’t hear the bell announcing the arrival of another customer, so the sound of a new voice startled me.

“Morning, Otto,” the voice said. I snapped my attention to the front of the store. A boy about my age stood just inside the door, taking off his coat and tossing it onto the tall, wooden coat rack. He shook his head a few times to shake his black hair back into place after having been whipped around by the wind.

“I’ve got Eli’s order for this week. We need another set of candles, a carton of milk, and a loaf of that cheese bread.” He said, reading from a sheet of crumpled paper. “Oh, and I almost forgot. He also needs a new paintbrush to replace one he lost. It was the one with the wide, long bristles. Eli said you would know which one he needed.” The boy strolled up to the counter and handed the owner, Otto, his list. After briefly glancing at it, the man nodded and leaned over his desk.

“Mr. Hunt. I need to speak with you.” he said, lowering his voice to a whisper. “There’s been another burning.”

My thoughts swam around aimlessly in my head. Certainly he was referring to my house, but how did this man know? I decided to get a little closer, so I crept around a row of empty baskets and crouched down so as not to be seen.

“Where? Are you sure?” The boy seemed extremely concerned. As if something had suddenly knocked Otto out of his previous calm, he appeared jittery and nervous.

“It was the small house on the corner of Kingston and Fifth. Police said it was just an accident, but-”

Mr. Hunt shook his head solemnly. “I’m not sure, Otto. I’ll take it to Eli immediately. I’ll come back for his order later. Anything else you need to tell me?”

“No, but I warn you that the police are swarming the streets. Take care on your way home.”

************************

Part 2 is floating around somewhere if you want to read it. :D Oh, and if her thoughts aren't in italics, I'm sorry, but my computer doens't want to allow them for some reason.

Angels-Symphony wrote a review...

Hey Searria ^^ Shina here as requested.

I wrapped my thin jacket tightly around me in a pathetic attempt to protect myself from the relentlessly biting cold.

Oh dear O_o Word...overload.

Don't jam-pack your sentences with adjectives, Sea. Especially not your hook =_= Your hook is the window to your story, so it must be unique and give rise to more questions than it answers.

This isn't such a hot example, but you see what I mean:
[spoiler]The rain crashed against the roof of the hut, threatening to break right through it.
A thing made only of dried palm leaves and bamboo, it was built for mild weather. Inside, little Emma hid in the shadows of the corner, closing her eyes in attempt to fade from reality. Her arms wrapped around her knees as she rocked, humming a song her grandmother used to sing. [/spoiler]

There. Brief, simple. Reader wants to know more about why this hut is so important and all that jazz.

Also, your story should begin where anything important to the plot begins.

Almost wishing I could go back to the warmth of my burning house, I made my way slowly down the crowded street without a clue as to where I was going.

I'm not liking the way you mention the narrator's house was burned down. I'm sure people died in this fire, so snow doesn't make you that desperate.

----------

And this is where I stop.

You need to stop jam-packing your sentencers with all of these adjectives. You had like six adjectives and adverbs in your first sentence. It's not about quantity of words, it's about quality.

Remember it's better to say something big in a few words than to say something little with many.

You're also doing a lot of telling, so you need to work on showing instead. Paint a picture of your world! Use imagery! Five senses.

Once you've got these down, I'd be happy to review more ^^
-Shina

Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:29 pm
TaylaChase wrote a review...

Hi! This was really good! I was very intrigued and it makes me want to read more! I just had one thing that I wasn't so sure about. To me it sounded as if she had just recently escaped the burning house. You said that she had cut herself deeply, but then it didn't sound as if her hands were tender at all after leaving.
I may have just misinterpreted, so I'm sorry if I did!

That was great, though!
~Tayla

Searria H. says...

Edited. Thanks Everyone! :D
-Sea-

Kazu wrote a review...

...carving my hands on shards of glass...
I like this comparison very much, but I think it needs more. Carving what into your hands? Shapes? Lines?

I've got to figure out what's going on. I said to myself purposefully.
I think the use of quotations or italics is in order. A little hard to understand without them.

Postcards and greeting cards sat neatly... variety of nuts.
You spent a ton of space describing what was on these shelves, and it began to get a bit repetitive. It might be better to narrow it down to describing just a few items that really put some character into the place.

...shake his black hair...
Give me more about this hair. You say 'black hair' and I could picture half a million different styles.

...I trudged through the alley, dragging the toe of my shoes with each step.
Something about this sentence I don't like. I think it might be that the word 'trudged' implies stepping heavily while dragging your toes requires one to walk slowly and with caution. I think dragging your heels would be more likely.

Answers. It seemed as though that's what we both wanted...
I really liked that. The general tone of that entire section fit well.

He cut me off with a severe glare.
It's sort of hard to believe that she stopped talking because of a harsh glare. Maybe you should imply that she was cut off by his movement, instead.

“Right. You just happened to overhear, and just happened to be a poor, helpless victim of the burning,” he spat, pushing so hard against my chest that I could barely breathe. “Who are you? A cop? Or maybe you’re with the government. If you’re fishing for information, I swear I’m going to kill you.”
In general, this is alright, but it is also a place that could prove vital for building up the structure of your story. It seems like there's some secret societies or groups we don't yet know about. Perhaps Mr. Hunt could hint towards these more. Do these societies have names? Do particular events have special names? If not, you can ignore this comment. It just seems like he should be foreshadowing a secretive world a bit more.

I'm good at that."
This phrase sort of takes away from the mystical sense of commanding you built around this Mr. Hunt fellow. Does he really need to state what he's good at, or is it already made clear by his actions?

Other thoughts that occured while reading your story:

I'm agreeing that you do need to learn to not use so many adjectives. Try similes and metaphors, as well as some of the adjectives you already have. Also, some stronger verbs could be used in different places. Trust me, the thesaurus is your best friend!

Your characters are rather dazzling, but make sure you have set in stone the personality you want each to hold. Although you're doing a good job of this already, there's some spots where their personalities start to fade out. Natural for the beginning of a story, of course, but it really needs to fill itself in later on.

A very good story that has lots of potential! You've definately got me waiting for more!

~_Kazu

Whoa. This is a lot to review at once.

I've started reading, though - and I'm curious to see where it leads - so I'll review the first half now and the second half when I have more time later this afternoon.

I'm sure you don't mind that ^_^ right?

Allright, on with the review:

I wrapped my thin jacket tightly around me in a pathetic attempt to protect myself from the relentlessly biting cold. Not too fond of the word "pathetic" in this sentence. Maybe try a word such as "futile" or "useless", instead?

I must have been a miserable sight with my hands thrust deeply into my jacket pockets, my face probably red with cold and black with soot. Try to rearrange this sentence.

My home was burning with my parents trapped inside. Do you intend to make your character come across as sociopathic? This sentence doesn't imply that he cares so much. It's very cold. I know you then develop your character's emotions, but... it's still a cold sentence.

I shuddered at the vivid memory of their bodies lying helplessly on the floor in small crimson puddles. Don't use too many adjectives; they get annoying after a while.

Whenever I closed my eyes, I could only picture the sneering man standing triumphantly over my mother. Then several men dropped torches onto the rug and left casually, locking me, my parents, and the corpses inside. A lot of adjectives.

Raising my hand to my neck, I pulled my pendant out from my shirt and fingered its smooth surface distractedly, trying to comfort myself.
Please don't use the word distractedly, I'm certain you can think of a better way to say this.

Side note: Really, be careful with the amount of adjectives you use. Go through your story and see for yourself - there are too many.

What am I going to do now? I thought as I stared at the bustling forest of legs. You can use italics for thoughts, if you want. Personally I think that looks nicer.

Several other baskets contained heaping hills of candies, chocolates, and lollipops. "heaping hills" doesn't work. A heap of candy, sure. A hill of candy, fine as well. A heaping hill? Nope.

A small barrel of apples and unripe bananas sat lazily in front of a wide shelf of jellies and jams. Lazily? Why that? Show us, don't tell us.

I had never been partial to stealing, as it always left me with a sense of paranoia and uneasiness. Unease/discomfort/awkwardness. Uneasiness doesn't seem like the best word to use.

A boy about my age stood just inside the door, taking off his coat and hanging it distractedly on the tall, wooden coat rack. Distractedly? Try to tone down on the amount of adjectives.

You've got something good going here - it's interesting, and it catches the reader's attention from the start. Tone down on adjectives, and develop your character slightly more. More atmosphere, and less telling (more showing) would improve it as well. It's a nice story, though - and I'll be back to take a look at the rest soon enough. I'm very curious how it continues, but unfortunately I have stuff to do right now.

Well done ^_^

XxxDo

You are not the voice in your mind, but the one who is aware of it.
— Eckhart Tolle